Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Baked French Toast

Received a request from what turns out to be one of my biggest fans. Aunt Marion requested a recipe for a baked French toast recipe that I made for brunch this past Easter. Actually, I have to say, my friend Andrea has been a big fan too. She has tried several of the recipes listed on this blog. Most recently the BBQ Chicken Pizza (which by the way she thought was fabulous). I really appreciate her support, as well as Aunt Marion's. This is definitely the kind of response and feedback that helps make this blog successful. Thank you to both of you.

So, back to the recipe request. Marion, I have to tell you, this would be a success on the house boat. But, not very healthy, but what the heck....sometimes you have to be bad. I know you will not eat it because of the eggs (although, I bet we could test run it with an egg substitute). I hope you try it on your next house boat trip. I know your friends will love it!!

1 large French bread loaf, sliced
butter to coat casserole dish
8 large eggs
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Coat 9x13 casserole dish with butter. Lay bread slices down, topped on top of each other. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, half and half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour evenly over bread slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate over night.

Praline topping (make this the next day before baking):
1 stick of unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. Drop the praline mixture, trying to sprinkle all over bread mixture. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 45 minutes. Then cover with foil and bake for an additional 15 - 30 minutes. During the last cooking time, you will want to keep checking and you will know when you are finished with French bread has set and is firm. You may need additional time.

Serve with warmed syrup and ENJOY!!!

Of course you know I have to do a pairing with this. I say go with Mimosas.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was the grateful receipient of this dish at our Easter Brunch celebration. It is sooooo good. Danielle, would like to see your quiche recipe from same brunch.
xoxo
Mom Gail